Buying a property can be quite exciting. But getting to know the different issues with the property and the extensive repair it could possibly need can cause a dent in that excitement. Before buying a property, it is important to know any underlying defects, safety hazards, or any other potential problem with the building before signing the contract. A building and pest inspection by a licensed inspector can help uncover any issue with the building allowing you to decide how you should proceed. If you are considering buying a property, the first thing that comes to your mind is how much does a building and pest inspection cost in Sydney?
Factors That affect the Cost of Building and Pest Inspection
The cost of building and pest inspection in Sydney will depend on a number of different factors such as the building size, type of property, and its location. As a rough estimate, an inspection for a small property - like a 2br unit - will cost anywhere between $300 and $400. Building inspection costs in the suburban area for the same property size will be cheaper than those in the metropolitan area. For an average-sized building - like a 2br unit - the estimated inspection cost would be $350-$400, whereas the cost for a house in the same area will be around $450-$500 in metropolitan Sydney. There will be additional cost for any special requirements - usually asbestos, mould, electrical, plumbing, thermal imaging photography etc.
The price of building and pest inspection will depend on the following factors –
- Type of Inspection Needed – Building only or building and pest inspection? If the building inspection requires certain additional inspections such as timber pest, plumbing, electrical, or gas inspection, the inspector will need to be licensed for those as well. Saying that, building inspectors do not include info that is outside of their area of expertise or qualification.
- Type of Property – Usually, units/apartments are at the bottom end of inspection costs with townhouses in the middle and free standing houses/terraces the most expensive. Really large house and/or really expensive may need to be quoted individually.
- Size of Property – The size of the property will usually also affect the total cost of building and pest inspection. Small apartments will cost less than a four to five-bedroom home.
- Location – The cost of an inspection will also vary depending on the location of the property and the demand for such services in the area, not to mention if additional travel is involved.
- Inspection Packages – Many inspection companies provide packages with different inclusions allowing you to save money. For example, it is cost-effective to purchase the building and pest inspection together in a package rather than purchasing them individually.
How to Ensure You are Getting the Best Deal?
As with any other service, it is best to get quotes from a few building inspection companies. However, remember that the cheapest one is not always the best option, especially in this field so do your research. It always baffles me when i come across someone attempting to save $40 on a $2m property purchase.
Here are some of the things to keep in mind when hiring a building inspector –
- The qualifications
- The Experience level
- Inclusions in the quote and if they need specialist equipment
- If they are covered by insurance
- The quality of their building inspection reports
- Reviews - check the online reviews as a great guide, especially Google reviews
- Referrals from people that have dealt with the business
A building and pest inspection in Sydney is an important process that should not be overlooked when assessing a property purchase. Do not let the emotion to own your dream home get in the way of getting a proper inspection done. If problems are present and appear in your building report, you will possibly have a chance to negotiate a lower price or even walk away.
Go here to check our pricing.
Go here for further info on property inspection prices.